Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ten things killing and saving the video game industry

Just a very quick post for the moment. Two excellent articles on IGN on Ten trends that are destroying video games and Ten trends that are saving video games are well worth reading.

A lot of what they say I highly agree with. I think 2009 is going to be an interesting year. During Q4 of last year, despite the global depression, the video game industry as a whole grew. However, I think this year could be the crunch year. The economic crisis is going to force causal gamers to either pick more carefully to make their purchases more £/hour effective or quit video games and sell the Wii on Ebay. As a result, I can see shovelware to start to decrease. With any luck, because of the Wii Motion Plus, developers will be reinspired to create decent innovative Wii games all over again.

Anyway, I'll be posting more about my thoughts for the future of the industry soon, but I strongly reccommend reading the above articles.

Update, fixed link to things that are saving video games. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
"All your base are belong to us"